Friday, May 21, 2010

Respect

30 days of content. What is this #19

Many Years ago, there was some discussion about "Straight Edger". To me, it seems a bit Judgmental. Walk a thousand miles in another person's shoes, then we can talk. I tend to be very tolerant, of other peoples choices. I don't know why you are doing what you are doing, but hopefully you have your reasons. In retrospect, it seems like just about any life philosophy, tends to be fine, until you decide the whole world needs to worship the same thing you do; at the Foot of Allah, or to the Great Capitalist god; McDonald's and DOW Chemical.

At the same time I was trying to live a bit cleaner, probably drink less or something. I guess in my 30's living a healthier life was becoming more appealing. What I learned was that part of that straight edger lifestyle was about respecting yourself. Showing some character about how we treat ourselves. Of course, I've always been a big fan of; If I can have Inner peace, then I can Extend that inner peace to the outer world, and it makes sense that the same would apply to Respect.

I was reminded, in some current thoughts about Respect, About my long time friend, who was chronically late, and after Years of it, After years of waiting at trail heads, and standing there like a FUCKING LOSER waiting for them hour after hour. That I needed to respect myself more.

It's probably a character flaw, but I tend to be tolerant, then suddenly, like a switch I just turn. "That is fine, Yep... I should sit around and wait for you. Fantastic! Great! Sounds like you are such a wonderful person, obviously you are too good for me.... I'm happy to move on! You can find some new Loser to sit around and wait for your precious ass! Good Luck with that!" It was 2 months before I got an apology, from him. At that point I said "Sit by your phone, Maybe we will do something, at some point." Of course that was near his birthday, and he realized he had nobody to go drinking with. Strange, cause my birthday went completely forgotten. To this day, I get Christmas cards, which go unread.

To them, "It's just how they are". Take it or leave it. On my end, not showing that respect for myself, is extremely detrimental. So, I don't have a choice. If someone isn't mature enough to "own their mistakes", you are waisting your time.
Onward and upward.... or sideways as the case may be! Nothing Else I can do!

And Props to the former straight edger, who helped me to understand that. I'd say, this is when we became "SuperFriends", I've decided that is what I should call Y'All. My SuperFriends!

No comments: