Saturday, December 13, 2008

toffee 2 of 4

Ok, here we go....... Take one stick of the 4 sticks of butter, in a one pound box(one pound butter = 2 Cups)(With Salt(FYI there is salted butter and unsalted)) Spread some butter on a cookie sheet(your not using the whole stick, just a bit of it). You're greasing the cookie sheet. Spread 1/2 to 1 cup ground chocolate on the pan(300-1000 calories) Then spread 1/2 to 1 cup ground nuts on the pan. (Notice the towel under the pan, insulation from the counter will be important later, as I poor 2 pounds of 300 degree sugar and butter onto it.)

It is Key that you have 1/2 -1 cup ground, both nuts and chocolate sitting in reserve at this point. At this point go Pee, take a crap, take the garbage out... Whatever, cause your going to be busy once you start the next step... In 45(can be less) minutes this batch will be done. and you get to stir that whole time..... you may need a sidekick.A Sancho to your Don Quixote.

Ok, Seriously Game on!!!!!!!! Put that game face on and get ready to dig in, Stretch it out, breathing and focus exercises. Time to Rock!!!!

The rest of the 1 lb box of butter(4 sticks including the one you greased the pan with), and 2 cups sugar into the pan med to medium high heat(sure, you can melt the butter first then add the sugar, that's safer. I usually just put it all together and run and check my e-mail). Go medium if your using stainless steel I've done toffee on High heat, but seriously I paid for my Hubris. It is possible but it's way advanced and I don't do it anymore. As the butter melts you still have time to Pee or whatever... but after that your screwed once the butter melts you get to stir constantly till it's done.

Have I made it clear enough that the stirring is everything in Toffee, As a kid me my mom and my sister all had to take turns as the lactic acid built up in our arms... As cyclists be weary of that build up and that this is where your backup/sidekick comes in.... I on the other hand have built up the slow twitch necessary to do this on my own... I suspect that most of your Cardiovascular abilities are up to this task of stirring a pot for 45 minutes, but do not take this lightly... or you end up with a pot full of ($5-$10 worth)Burned Sugary gue at the end of this process.

No comments: