Saturday, December 06, 2008

Here we go again

... I haven't posted in a while, the thought occurred to me that Art was dying to know what I think of the auto bailout/Rescue, or not, or he assumes he knows.

To start off I'm agnostic about it, I suspect that to some of you it's a moral question. To me I just want to know what is going to happen, and bet accordingly.

I stated before that this thing will resolve in some kind of "moral Collapse", I was pointed to a story a few months ago "The Fable of the Bees", in the story there is a breakout of Morality, and the bees refuse to work because of it and the hive failed. If it's "Price Controls" or a Trade War... or something, I think in a socioeconomic way, that is the outcome that is most probable.

Congress is all abuzz about how once the banks got the money "they havn't lent it.". Well, half the banks didn't have strong enough ballance sheets to take that risk. Most are waiting for a more meaningfull recovery in the economy, so that they know they won't need aditional money for loan loss reserves. And those with excess money, well... do we realy think that they should just throw 250 billion into the pockets of the first drunks that show up at the teller windows. My point is that Congress is poised to do some very stupid things, out of moral outrage.... Sort of a "I'll show you, I'll cut my nose off to spite my face"

The problem I see... When you provide "Bridge financing" what a company will do, instead of making cuts, and getting Leaner, is that they will just shove their heads up their ass and pretend it's all not happening. I'd propose that the car manufacturers will do the same thing.

If one has a conversation with me about cars IRL, I like to point out that there are only about 5 types of cars, and the only difference is slight differences in the shapes, Very slight. Seems like we could use about 20 less models. And I'd love for a new line to come out "The Functional" Comes in white black red blue, a 2 door, a 4 door, a Minivan, and a truck. Has no features and is very light, all models get over 30 MPG.... that advertisement says "gets you where you are going".

No comments: