Monday, November 10, 2008

witch's claw

I just had a dream that a "witch's claw" used in an idol-ic way saved me from a werewolf or a Lion or something. What is interesting about this is that I've decided at this point in my life(well Months ago), to actually become an Atheist. (If you are god folk, you are warned... I'm about to go on, and I hope not to offend... so be warned.)

For the longest time, My reservation was more that I felt like 'you couldn't Rule out god'. Then I realized that Like Unicorns, Greek gods, Witch's, Bogymen, Black Helicopters, and the usual Conspiracy's... I actually could.
http://www.futureofthebook.org/mitchellstephens/archives/GOD2.JPG
Much of this started when an Atheist friend, tried to convince me that 9/11 was some kind of bush conspiracy, and there was some kind of explosive charges Planted. That a Building could never be blown down by a Plane. My easy counter argument was that I've seen buildings built, and with all the mouth breathing dopes who do it, I'm surprised they hold up to the wind.

Later I realized that he wanted to believe it, which made him susceptible to what was a very lousy documentary, that obsessed over minutia that your average brain finds curious, Until you further understand how the building was constructed, and basic physics. The point was that even very smart people, who "Want to Believe" can be convinced into the most ridiculous things.

Since this time, I've done my best to try and evaluate many of my own perceptions, especially when for one reason or another "I want to Believe.". Primarily, things I have a Vested interest in. Overall, the rough theme has been that due to our desire for "Infinite Knowledge", we tend to revert to a Delusional Groudfull Knowledge, as apposed to a More Realistic Groundless Knowledge.

Overall, since I can then apply this to Theology. I then realized that for the most part Atheism is not Anti-Theism. Which was how I precieved it. I have no desire to be Anti-God(not that Theism is god), nor am I Agnostic about god/Theism anymore. Previously I didn't have any specific theory that had Excluded God from the equation.

Excluding myself from being Anti-God, or Agnostic about god. It leaves me with the Position of believing that there are certain evolutionary reasons to be "convinced of God". This then gives me a reason, and significant Evidence... Or more Significant evidence of a "Lack of God" than the "Existence of god".

Further more, I didn't realize how liberating it was going to be to eliminate; Superstition, conspiracy theories, Spirituality, and the bogyman in life.

Bush is a Fool and not the Anti-Christ.


(I've stolen all the following Quotes)

"Don't you believe in something god-like? You don't believe in the traditional God. Don't you believe there's SOMETHING there?".

And I say, "No. There's nothing there.". And it's very difficult to get across to people who are religious, that when you are an atheist, that you mean you don't believe in anything like that whatsoever. It's not that you think nature is God, or it doesn't have personal qualities or something like that. You don't believe in anything of that type. Nothing supernatural. nothing miraculous, nothing superstitious. No ghosts, no telepathy... you know... nothing of that kind.

now it's a curious expression, as Thomas Aquinas pointed out, that nothing isn't a funny kind of something - of any kind, as he said - there isn't a kind of thing that the name "nothing" names.. I mean there are philosophers who go about as if it did, umm, but Thomas Aquinas was absolutely clear about it, he says, "look, it's a very odd sort of making that you're talking about here because the negation against the 'out of' is a making but there's no 'out of' going on here".

classical theologians say that God is not any kind of thing because if God were a kind of thing, God would just be one of the other kinds of things that there are, only a rather different one. So we're not talking about something that's on the map of creation. We're talking about something which is off the map of creation, which is why what we're talking... you know.. how we're talking now is a kind of bamboozling nonsense.

2 comments:

Mistress Julie said...

Here's to you Mop, for the use of the word "bamboozling."

And I can say with vindiction I don't believe in the hokey pokey "thing" known as "god" and I don't believe in heaven or hell. I do believe in a lot of other tangible things because I live in a world known as "reality" which is certainly not as glamorous as a life filled with believing you'll go to heaven where angels sing and you get a life better than the one you have. I'm trying to make the one I've got the best thank you.

I for one,not being a religious girl, do like to attend the church of the big ring as often as I can and that's as close to a religion as I'll ever get. Can I hear a hallelujah??!!! :)

The Mop said...

Hey, Hot Beautiful Object of my Seedy Obsession.

Religion can be good, What I'm surprised about is just the good Mojo of just dismissing the great Balance of any "Believing nonsense", regardless of it's source.

;)