Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Twilight

As twilight breaks on this day, I am struck by a wonderful euphoria. I have nestled in for the winter it seams. My Vinyl albums playing in the background. A Dirty Gin Martini at my side. Sitting on my Futon reading a book. I picked up 'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens. I'm Slowly draining the martini.

Hitchens writes of Marx, Restating the often misquoted statement "religion is the Opiate of the masses"


Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions.
To summarize the theme. Religion is the Suckling of a child, the continuation of which prevents the child from grow up. The infantilization of the child.

When I was in college I asked one of my professors "Is there somewhere that this is done better, is there a place where higher ideas happen and are discussed?". He had no answers for me, where was Hitchens at that time?

Some brilliant moments as I continue to indulge in such wonderful ideas. Not bad for a drunk.

No comments: