Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Descents and the lane

Many years ago.... I learned that "Sometimes you have to take the lane". There are times where you don't have a shoulder, or that the lanes are thin or that the last thing you want is for a car to try and pass you at 40MPH with you on the shoulder, since there might also be some big pot hole in the road that you have to swerve around, and you don't want to get nailed at 40 MPH....

So... what do you do..... You aggressively take the lane. At the speed limit hopefully or damn near.... You take the lane.... Aggressively... you OWN IT!.... say to any cars that want to pass.... NO!!! I am here and you will only pass in the passing lane. I am a Bike and I deserve RESPECT... I'm at or near the speed limit..... YOU WILL NOT SQUEEZE ME, INTO THE SHOULDER. You will not push me INTO THE DIRT..... I obey the Laws of the Road... I deserve to ride in the road.

The thing I hate..... is being Stalked by a car.... So sure if a car gets behind me and wants to pass... I wait for the right time..... the right time FOR ME! and I Yield...

Worse is to be Stalked by cars for 3 miles on a descent..... I'll even pull off if I that happens. I do not trust having cars behind me..... and they are dangerous and crazy but ... there is nothing like being swooshed at 45 mph... with 6 inches of shoulder.

There is this descent, and for the longest time I could pull the speed limit 35MPH if I pushed it. and I would ride the shoulder, and at the right turn lane I'd have cars try and hit me... or squeeze me with 3 inches of shoulder. I'd have cars pass me at 45mph just to prove that they were better than a bike in their stink mobile. All of this ended, when I started to "TAKE THE LANE"... I didn't give them an option... that and I started doing the descent at 40mph and taking the whole lane.... sure enough... it all stopped.... and things were safe... and the world was good.....

because instead of being timid.... I took the lane and put an end to the Shitmobile horseshit... Seriously.... Take the lane!!!

No comments: